[PyKDE] Installation Help With PyQt-x11-gpl-3.4 with Python 2.2

Jonathan Gardner jgardn at alumni.washington.edu
Sat Nov 30 18:30:00 GMT 2002

On Friday 29 November 2002 02:29 pm, you wrote:
> Ok. I removed all the packages I was supposed to. Now how do I install the
> RPMs?

Download the following RPMs from the SourceForge site at
'http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=61057':

PyKDE-3.3.2-7.i386.rpm
PyKDE-devel-3.3.2-7.i386.rpm
PyKDE-docs-3.3.2-7.i386.rpm
PyQt-3.4-1.i386.rpm
PyQt-devel-3.4-1.i386.rpm
PyQt-docs-3.4-1.i386.rpm
sip-3.4-1.i386.rpm
sip-devel-3.4-1.i386.rpm

(These are all of the RPMs under 'Red Hat 7.3 RPMs')

Open up a console. Type:

$ su -

to become root.

As root, cd to the directory where you saved the RPMs. Now, type the following
commands:

# rpm -e PyKDE PyKDE-devel PyKDE-docs PyQt PyQt-devel PyQt-docs sip sip-devel

This will remove the existing RPMs in your system, if they exist. To install
the RPMs, do this:

# rpm -Uvh PyKDE-3.3.2-7.i386.rpm \
PyKDE-devel-3.3.2-7.i386.rpm \
PyKDE-docs-3.3.2-7.i386.rpm \
PyQt-3.4-1.i386.rpm \
PyQt-devel-3.4-1.i386.rpm \
PyQt-docs-3.4-1.i386.rpm \
sip-3.4-1.i386.rpm \
sip-devel-3.4-1.i386.rpm

If any of these commands produce error messages, let me know.

For more information on RPMs, you may want to read the online book, Maximum
RPMs. I suggest you read the first part even if you are only going to use
your Red Hat system casually.

http://www.rpm.org/max-rpm/

> What commands do I use? I had to reset my system so I lost the
> install output. I am going to install but when I install using python2
> ./build.py I get a message asking me to chose between these two libraries
> qt and qt-mt. Witch one should I use (I am tiring to installing sip rite
> now).

You'll want to use qt-mt, but this is only if you are going to compile on your
own. I suggest you use the RPMs.

--
Jonathan Gardner
jgardn at alumni.washington.edu