[PyKDE] Editor survey

Frederick Polgardy Jr polgardy at bodacion.com
Thu Oct 3 17:09:00 BST 2002

On Thursday 03 October 2002 02:23 am, Phil Thompson wrote:
> Scintilla already implements code folding, syntax highlighting, call
> tips, autocompletion etc. The work I still have to do on it is to make
> those features available in a way that looks familiar to a Qt programmer.
> It would be really helpful if I had somebody wanting to make heavy use of
> it and telling me to order in which things should be done. Detlev is
> doing something similar in order to add Scintilla to eric.

I'm very willing to make heavy use of it.  In fact, from time to time I
start playing with writing one myself, which was one of the main reasons I
started using PyQt/PyKDE in the first place.  I'm a long-term NEdit user,
myself, and really like it, but I'm starting to come up against some
annoying barriers -- not to mention I want something that integrates better
into KDE (and doesn't look like shit -- *cough* -- I mean Motif, no offense
to NEdit).  I am NOT a member of the church of Emacs either.

Personally, I'm looking for something like Kate/KWrite with better (i.e.
more configurable) syntax highlighting, and of course the ability to
register python code. :-)  I'll be happy to rate my wants on a list of
proposed features.  I've not seen Scintilla, but I thought about taking a
look at it.  It's just that there doesn't seem to be a Debian package for
it, and I'm too lazy to build it myself. :-)

Fred

--
F R E D E R I C K   P O L G A R D Y   J R.
Bodacion Technologies