[PyKDE] PyQwt binding [Was:] How to do *INTERACTIVE* plotting with PyQt (or PyQwt)

Hans-Peter Jansen hpj at urpla.net
Mon Sep 9 23:40:01 BST 2002

Hi Gerard,

I stumpled across Qwt a few month ago, but haven't been aware of your Qwt
bindings then. What a pity. Thanks to your message, I was happily disabused.
Thanks a lot! Let others spare a google visit:
PyQwt binding: http://gerard.vermeulen.free.fr (nice complement to Qt)

A few remarks:

after commenting out a few lines in pyqt_support.py, I was able to build it
with a current PyQt snapshot version. Not a problem here, maybe a command
line switch to suppress these tests would be nice.

        #if not (sip_version == '3.3.2'):
        #    raise SystemExit, 'sip-3.3.2 required to build this PyQwt'
        import qt
        #pyqt_version = qt.PYQT_VERSION
        #if not pyqt_version == '3.3.2':
        #    raise SystemExit, 'PyQt-3.3.2 required to build this PyQwt'

BodeDemo.py:

the damping factor QwtCounter buttons looks different in the c++ version:
while the arrow buttons in c++ are nearly quadratic, they span the full
toolbar size (looks ugly). In both versions, the embedded QTextEdit is
a bit to narrow. Trying to resize() the widget failed. Any ideas? Looks
like QwtCounter class is missing a reimplemented resize method.

In order to get printing to work, I had to remove the call to QwtFltrDim:

    def printPlot(self):
        p = QPrinter()
        if p.setup():
            #self.plot.printPlot(p, QwtFltrDim(200))
            self.plot.printPlot(p)

CPUloadDemo.py:

Running this demo, I was a bit disappointed (kidding). Maybe you want
to try to apply the attached patch. I think, it's more like an average
linux user expect it to appear. I hope, it fits your expectations, too.

More on this to come.

Hans-Peter

[Qt: 3.0.4, PyQt/sip-snapshot-20020806, Python 2.1.1, SuSE 7.3]