[PyKDE] PyKDE almost ready for packaging

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Tue Apr 1 03:56:01 BST 2003

I need to make one last pass to be sure PyKDE builds correctly on
each supported KDE version, and then I should be able to put
together a tarball to send out to packagers. This won't include all
of the examples and docs, but will cover all of the code.

I know Ricardo wants a tarball, but anyone else planning on doing
rpms or other packaging for this release should let me know either
on the list or directly. Let me know the distribution you're
building for and I'll mail a copy of the tarball (est about 800KB -
maybe a little more).

For those who have latitude in naming (which should include all of
the rpm builders), I'd like the naming to be:

   PyKDE-<sip version>-<release>

so for example the tarball will be:

   PyKDE-3.5-1.tar.gz

and subsequent releases under sip 3.5 will be -2, -3, etc., and the
first sip 3.6 release will be

   PyKDE-3.6-1.tar.gz.

For rpms I'd recommend something like:

   PyKDE-3.6-1-RH-8_0.rpm

or Mdk-9_1 or SuSE-8_2 or whatever. It really helps in identifying
the correct rpm version. Contact Jonathan either on the list or
directly about uploading rpms to source forge.

I'm going to set a release date of April 7th for the complete
source distribution - that gives me this week to get the docs in
order and some other minor cleanup - might not take that long, but
I need to get started on my tax returns too (they're not as
forgiving about release dates).

This release is a lot cleaner than previous releases - I've located
and repaired a number of bugs, including all of the KSharedPtr
related problems (the various *::Ptr and *::List conversions). This
release is still for sip 3.5 and covers KDE2.1.1 through 3.1.1.
This release doesn't include all of the testing/demos/etc that I'd
like to include, so I'll try to get to that stuff following the
release. That will likely lead to a bug fix release not long after
this one.

This version should also build more easily on RH and Mdk (although
I haven't had time to work around the Qt problems on Mdk to test
it). build.py no longer is very particular about $KDEDIR. I did run
into one problem with the kjs module insisting on linking to KDE2
when building for KDE3 - I've included a test program and README to
help work around this problem if it occurs (I had the problem on
SuSE).

Jim