[PyKDE] PyKDE Change in Plans

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Wed Apr 2 10:58:01 BST 2003

On 02-Apr-03 Gerard Vermeulen wrote:
> Hmm...,

> I was wondering if it is possible to introduce a feature

> %feature SIP_FOOLS_DAY

> where build.py (or my distutils scripts) have to figure
> out if sip predates 2003-04-01 or not.

Sure -

Take the output of sip -V and test it to determine if you need the
old style or new style naming, then pass a -D define to your code
when compiling or set a feature conditional (<= 3.5 or
< snapshot-20030401 for old style).

There is a #define Phil referenced (SIP_MAJOR_NR) that you can test
in C++ code (it's in the 3/15 snapshot), but I think you'll only be
able to distinguish 3 from 4, and the incompatibility will be in
later versions of 3 already. It's in siplib/sip.h.

I'm resistant to doing it for PyKDE because it adds some other
complications and it appears at the moment that PyKDE for 3.6 (when
3.6 is released) won't be backwards compatible with PyKDE for 3.5.
It's easy to add the #ifdefs if you need them (all the changes are
in C++ code in %VirtualCode blocks).

PyQt shouldn't have a problem as long as you match the PyQt and sip
versions.

I like the feature name though :)

Jim