[PyKDE] Difference between dcoppython and PyKDE dcop module?

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Mon Apr 14 02:53:00 BST 2003

On 12-Apr-03 Julian Rockey wrote:
> On Saturday 12 Apr 2003 10:17 am, Luká¹ Tinkl wrote:
>> Dne pá 11. dubna 2003 19:32 Ricardo Javier Cardenes Medina
>> napsal(a):

>> > I have to warn you: that's a rather old and unmaintained
>> > package (it seems that the packager lost interest at the
>> > same rate that KDE developers).

>> It recently became maintained again and is now under heavy work.

> ... and I'm the new maintainer.

> The changes I am currently making are to make the differences
> between the kdebindings dcoppython and the dcop bindings in
> PyKDE clearer.

> Essentially what I am doing is removing an "mini-QT-bindings"
> that were present, and ensuring dcoppython works without *any*
> QT bindings. So, for example, instead of a QRect being returned
> as a QRect class, it is returned as a Python tuple (x1,y1,x2,y2).
> And so on.

> I see a use for dcoppython for Python programs that *don't* use
> QT. Thje PyKDE bindings are suitable for Python programs that
> *do* use QT/KDE. dcoppython in my mind is a bridge between the
> QT world and the Pythonic world.

This sounds like exactly the right way to go to me - there are
interesting things to be done with KDE apps that PyKDE either can't
do or isn't suitable for (because of it's size if nothing else,
and because you may want to do something that doens't require
users to install PyKDE).

> I have also recently added the ability to provide a callable DCOP
> interface for a Python object. It needs more work but the
> concept is there. There is an  example in dcoppython/tests
> called server.py

> Feel free to check out kdebindings/dcoppython from kde HEAD and
> help me test!  You don't need to run kde HEAD either -- the
> module compiles equally well  with 3.1

Cool.

Quite honestly, I don't know if what PyKDE does with dcop is
sufficient to do anything useful. The dcop bindings are mostly there
to make kdecore, etc. easier to do bindings for. Looking at what
PyKDE *can* do with dcop and working up some demo programs has been
on my TODO list for a long time, but I've never gotten to it.

Jim