[PyKDE] PyKDE for sip 3.5 and 3.6

Gerard Vermeulen gvermeul at grenoble.cnrs.fr
Fri Apr 18 10:01:01 BST 2003

Jim,

I did not try to build PyKDE myself (I am an old-fashioned guy who
thinks that KDE eats to many resources), but I am stealing code
from it for PyQwt -- thanks.

The installation problems that some people encounter may form a
real obstacle to the acceptance of PyQt (and PyKDE), even if it
is due to bugs in Qt or RPM packages.

On Thu, 17 Apr 2003 10:35:59 -0700 (PDT)
Jim Bublitz <jbublitz at nwinternet.com> wrote:

[ snip ]

> > I also suggest that build.py exits with an error message if it
> > discovers a Qt version that post-dates the sip files (or at
> > least a warning that things may not go as expected).

Here I had in mind PyQt's build.py, in the end it will save time
if it complains about Qt and Python (I have a report from somebody
trying to build PyQt-3.5 with Python-2.3a1) that are not yet
supported. In the end it will save time.
I also used to check if PyQt and sip are compatible (I have seen that too).

> The problem is that in some cases, PyKDE will build against later
> versions (eg PyKDE-3.3.2 will build against everything through sip
> 3.5 - it just lacks up-to-date KDE stuff) and in other cases it
> won't (as PyKDE-3.5 won't work with sip 3.6).
>
> I'm going to see if I can handle this somehow so it doesn't occur
> again. The simplest solution is to provide snapshot releases like
> Phil does - at the moment I don't find that feasible for PyKDE, but
> down the road it should be. Otherwise, I need to do some work on
> PyKDE's build.py and also on the PyKDE sip files.
>
> If Phil releases in about 2 weeks (as he indicated in his reply to
> you) PyKDE-3.6 should be ready shortly after and the problem (for
> now) will disappear again. Still needs to be addressed though.

Ricardo has proposed to do more intermediate releases. Since sip and
the sip files evolve together, I do not like the idea because it makes
maintaining PyQwt harder (and PyQwt is much smaller/simpler than PyKDE
but I would like to keep PyQwt compatible with several sip/PyQt versions,
if possible).

Another idea is to upgrade only PyQt's sip files, if a new Qt release
comes out (of course it is more work for Phil).

Gerard