[PyKDE] PyKDE for sip 3.5 and 3.6

Phil Thompson phil at river-bank.demon.co.uk
Sat Apr 19 12:17:00 BST 2003

On Saturday 19 April 2003 10:17 am, gvermeul at grenoble.cnrs.fr wrote:
> [ snip ]
>
> > Be aware that the linkage between SIP and PyQt versions won't last much
> > longer. Fairly soon there will be one version of PyQt but two versions of
> > SIP - and it will be up to the user/packager to decide which SIP is to be
> > used.
>
> If this means that one can intermingle PyQt modules built with SIP-4.0
> with PyKDE/PyQwt modules built with SIP-3.6, I consider you to be a genius.

I'm definately not a genius.

> If not, could you introduce a variable qt.SIP_VERSION to see which sip
> has been used?

It would be consistent to add sip.SIP_VERSION, although it wouldn't be
particularly useful. SIP v3 and v4 modules won't interoperate - they just
wouldn't load. SIP v4 modules include versioning information and will issue
error messages of incompatible versions are used.

That only leaves testing for particular features, but I always prefer to test
for the feature itself rather than test for the version that is supposed to
include the feature.