[PyKDE] PyKDE - almost

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Wed Aug 6 08:57:01 BST 2003

On Tuesday August 5 2003 20:03, Bruce Sass wrote:
> <sigh>
> KDE-3.1.3 installs and the next day you announce that PyKDE
> for 3.1.1 and 3.1.2 is on the horizon.

3.1.1 should work with the current release (but only at sip 3.5).

> On Tue, 5 Aug 2003, Jim Bublitz wrote:
> <...>

> > Argh! Hadn't checked kde.org in the last week or so. I'll
> > make this the second release - hopefully a few days after
> > the first one. It only takes about 30 minutes to upgrade (at
> > least for point releases). The time consuming part is
> > d/l'ing and installing the new KDE release (along with
> > another Linux install). However by dropping the KDE2 stuff,
> > I have lots of free partitions at the moment.

> I may as well be blunt about it...

> You should stop actively working with out-of-date software.

> I like the idea of being able to get PyKDE working no matter
> what version of Py or KDE one has, but it just doesn't seem to
> be working.

My philosophy is that upgrades shouldn't be forced, so I like to
maintain backward compatibility as far as practical. Dropping
KDE2 was pretty arbitrary, but I don't expect many people (or
any) still depend on it. On the other hand, I've only been
running KDE3 (in production) for about 6 months.  Probably
similar to the reasoning Debian applies to 'stable'.

> Why not stick with the most recent releases and CVS snapshots
> of sip, Python and KDE -- leave the work of getting a PyKDE
> built for an old release of Python with an old release of KDE
> and who knows which version of sip to those who actually are
> going to use it.  Give'm a hand and apply patches to PyKDE
> which don't break things, but don't spend time trying to build
> using (say) sip-3.4, Py-2.1 and KDE-3.0.4 when 3.7, 2.3 and
> 3.1.3 are the current releases.

I haven't maintained PyKDE against earlier versions of sip -
that's pretty difficult to do, and a lot of what Phil puts in
sip upgrades (moreso in the past than now) is for the benefit of
PyKDE in the first place. Phil does a good enough job (along
with the Python guys) that tracking Python versions has never
been a problem for me (and I don't think much problem for Phil).
But again, I'm still back at KDE 3.1.0 on my work machines and
will be for a while probably, and other people are probably
further back still.

> Have you considered using chroot setups instead of fresh Linux
> installs... Debian developers do this often enough (need to
> support packages in both stable and unstable distributions)
> they have packaged up a number of script to ease the pain of
> creating the right environment... searching on "chroot" in
> package descriptions via the form at
> http://packages.debian.org/ should get you links to packages
> (the source should *not* be Debian specific!).

It's easier to multi-boot than to use chroot because I test
against multiple distributions (or would if I could get Mandrake
to work and not just RH and SuSE) and multiple versions of
distributions. gcc, Python, etc. The problems that arise
otherwise are similar to what I wasted an hour on tonight - I
test-built against KDE 3.0.3 on SuSE 7.3 and had all kinds of
problems with one module (unresolved symbols). That was an old
upgrade of 7.3 from KDE2 to KDE3. For KDE3.0.3 on SuSE 8.0,
everything works fine. That's a SuSE problem IMO and the only
practical fix is for users to upgrade SuSE in that case. (The
7.3 version was just hanging around and that box happened to be
free - otherwise, I don't try to verify all the possible
permutations).

> Have you considered changing to a distro which does a better
> job of keeping you up-to-date...  I know Debian-unstable is
> good in this respect[1], Mandrake's "Cooker" would probably
> also do (sounds like it is more unstable than Debian-unstable,
> which I hear isn't much worse than other's releases[2]), I
> don't know what RH and SuSE offer the developer).

Mandrake 9.0 had problems in its Qt setup I didn't want to spend
time working through. I installed Mandrake 9.1 last night and
couldn't get it to network - might just need some 'route add'
stuff, but I didn't feel like going through that at the moment
either. So I'm not real big on Mandrake at the moment. The
'drake' stuff to do networking setup was badly broken too, but
that might be Cheapbytes fault.

Debian, on the other hand (hi Ricardo!) actually provides support
and packaging for *current* PyQt and PyKDE versions, so I feel
like those problems are covered.  I need to build and test
against the distributions that don't provide support.

The bottom line is that PyKDE should run on nearly anything, so
whether I develop somewhere else or not, I still need to be able
to handle SuSE, RH and other problems, and I'd like to get them
out of the way pre-release. Personally I find SuSE a lot easier
to install and configure, but I'm used to it too.

> Consider this before you do "another Linux install"...
> Debian-unstable is built by developers for the purpose of
> developing software[3], it is not a snapshot of the next
> release or targeted towards any particular use or user (i.e.,
> desktop, server, newbie, enterprise, etc.) as you will likely
> get by installing a commercial distro's release or development
> version.

> Sorry for degenerating into a Debian advert.  I just can't
> help thinking that part of why I haven't been able to try
> PyKDE is because of the time you have been spending tracking
> upstream releases and installing Linux -- when my distro does
> all the infrastructure stuff for me and I haven't needed to do
> an install for years.

I don't mind the Debian advert at all - Debian just doesn't solve
*my* problems. I still have to fix PyKDE when the KDE h files
are out of sync with the SuSE KDE libs, and considering what's
involved in locating/fixing those problems, it's much better to
do it on SuSE in the first place. (Not to be too negative about
SuSE - I prefer it over anything else I've tried)

I'm only concerned about shaving days or hours off development
time right now because I want to get this release out ASAP. The
overriding problem is not having had any time at all to spend on
it the last few months. I've just had a rash of problems from
dogs getting snake bit to other peoples dumb software problems
(switching from Linux to Windows - sheesh!) just about costing
me half of my business' sales, and everything imaginable in
between. Short of 'apt-get anti-venin' or 'apt-get LART'
working, I don't think the distribution I use makes that much
difference in the long run.

Speaking of interruptions, we had a lightning storm go through
tonight, and there are a couple of fires up valley from us. The
Forest Service already has crews on them. It's cool and wet now,
but it'll be tomorrow afternoon before we know for sure they're
under control. Meaning tomorrow morning I have to hook up the
fire pump (which should have been done already) and a few other
miscellaneous things in case we need to evacuate. Doesn't seem
likely at the moment though.

> One other part is a 28.8kpbs connection and a P133, otherwise
> I'd be downloading and building instead of ranting at you.

That's about a 4-5 hour build time for PyKDE (or maybe 10-12 if
you don't have a lot of memory)?

> [1] currently at sip-3.7, Pythons 1.5-2.3 (any combination,
> have had 2.3x for many months), KDE-3.1.3 (in the last couple
> days, before that 3.1.2, 3.1.1, 3.0.somethings...)

> [2] It is rare to see someone struggling with a Debian
> (unstable or stable) problem on the local LUGs mailing list;
> RH and Mdk users seem to be always trying to find something or
> get "this" to work with "that" (especially the RH users, and I
> don't know what they are going to do now that they can't wait
> for the *.1 or *.2 minor release before upgrading :-).

RH, Mdk and SuSE are in the stores, so they probably get
disproportionately more newbies. Most of the Debian (or gentoo,
etc) users I know started out on something else.  I've come to
prefer the "dumbed-down" installs --- 6-7 years ago I wouldn't
have minded spending a day getting PPP to work; everything's so
easy now, I won't take the time to manually set up networking
when Mdk won't do it for me.

Jim