[PyKDE] PyKDE on Debian

Peter Clark peter-clark at bethel.edu
Fri Aug 8 21:38:01 BST 2003

	This is just to relate my experience building PyKDE (3.7-3) on Debian
(unstable). Assuming that PyQt is already installed, the only additional
packages you should require are:

	apt-get install sip python2.2-sip-dev libdcopc1 libdcopc-dev

(There might be more that I had installed for other reasons, but don't know
about, however.)
	The build.py script requires the following flags:

python build.py -q /usr -i /usr/include/qt3 -v /usr/share/sip/qt

	I compiled everything as root (may I ask why?), per the README, and then ran
'checkinstall' to create a .deb package and install it. Unfortunately, trying
the example programs inevitably fails with a message like this:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "uisampler.py", line 6, in ?
    from kdeui import KMainWindow, KListView
  File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/kdeui.py", line 67, in ?
    import libkdeuic
ImportError: /usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/libkdeuicmodule.so: undefined
symbol: sipName_getFormat

What is 'sipName_getFormat' and how do I go about fixing this?
	:Peter

--
Oh what a tangled web they weave who try a new word to conceive!