[PyKDE] PyKDE-3.7-3 Available

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Sat Aug 9 00:31:24 BST 2003

On Friday August 8 2003 13:03, Jonathan Gardner wrote:

> On Friday 08 August 2003 10:14, Jim Bublitz wrote:
> > I've put a new release up on SourceForge (PyKDE-3.7-3) at

> >    http://sourceforge.net/projects/pykde

> Rather than uploading a new release everyday, let's just
> upload patches and allow the users to apply them. When we have
> a bunch of patches, we can make new releases. Before the new
> release, let's ask everyone to compile the latest patched
> version on their computer, and see what errors we get. We can
> try to get all the errors out in a reasonable timeframe.

I'm unlikely to upload new releases every day - at the point of
release though, I'd rather the tarball be fixed as the majority
of users probably haven't downloaded it yet. That saves a lot of
people from having to deal with the obvious initial problems.
Also, the fixes are simple edits and explained on the list, so
most people won't need to download anything else at all (part of
the motivation for the build system the way it is was to make
that possible).

Of course the underlying factor is this has been incredibly easy
for me to do - the tarball generation is automated, and
sourceforge is much better now than it was a year ago. I
actually get pretty good upload speeds, which was a big problem
before. And sf now allows file deletes, so the confusion factor
is a lot lower.

> I'm not sure if you are familiar with the diff-patch method.
> I've sort of got a handle on it. I am sure someone out there
> will know how to administrate this better than I can.

It's another one of those things I don't do much, so I expect I'd
screw it up more likely than not and it would end up taking me
longer.

Jim