[PyKDE] Qt3/PyQt and MS Windows

Phil Thompson phil at riverbankcomputing.co.uk
Sat Aug 9 20:32:01 BST 2003

On Tuesday 05 August 2003 1:17 pm, Lars Kirkhus wrote:
> Hello there. I've got some questions about running Qt and PyQt on
> Windows that I hope some of you might help me with.
>
> Currently I'm working on an open source project which is using Qt/PyQt,
> Qt 3.1.1 atm, for GUI rendering. It is up and running on *nix and we are
> about to start working on getting it to work on Windows also and for
> this we are planning to buy an academic license of Qt3 (and a license
> for PyQt). Since this costs money I want to be 100% sure we're not doing
> anything hasty here.

Does the Qt academic license cost money? The PyQt academic license is free.

> What I would like to know is this: when we release the Windows port,
> what is required from the user. Do they also have to install PyQt and
> Qt3 or is it possible for us to ship our program with some kinds of
> dlls? Any pointers to documentation on this would be nice since I've
> been unable to find any.

You should ask these questions of Trolltech and just pretend you are talking
about a C++ application. Once you know which Qt license you need, you will
also need the equivalent PyQt license.

> If it turns out that the users also have to install and buy a license
> for Qt3 I'm guessing we just have to do it the hard way and maintain a
> Windows version which uses the non-commercial 2.3 version of Qt, ie. not
> a good solution...

The non-commercial version will also impose restrictions. You should look at
the Business Edition of BlackAdder - check first that it supports all the
classes that you need.