[PyKDE] Red Hat unicode problem

Doug Bell dougb at bellz.org
Mon Aug 11 16:16:00 BST 2003

A few users of my TreeLine program have had problems with the display of
unicode in text edit and list view widgets.  All are using Red Hat
(various versions).  The latest occurrance is using Red Hat 9 with
Python 2.2.2, Qt 3.1.1 and PyQt 3.5, all from RPM's.

The text gets spaced out in the widgets - what should be "string"
becomes "s t r i".  Some users see square place-holders in the spaces,
others just see spaces.

Many others have used my program without seeing this issue.  My program
uses unicode, including the strategy from Boudewijn's book of saving the
sys.setdefaultencoding in sitecustomize.py and setting the encoding to
utf-8.

If anyone wants to test the program, it can be found at
<http://www.bellz.org/treeline/>.

Any ideas?
Doug.