[PyKDE] Line numbers in TextEdit box?

Peter Clark peter-clark at bethel.edu
Tue Aug 12 20:42:01 BST 2003

On Tuesday 12 August 2003 11:37 am, Jonathan Gardner wrote:
> 1) Implementing your own text edit with PyQt.
>
> Won't be too difficult. Since Qt is GPL, you can "borrow" code and
> concepts and write it all in Python.
	Since the only "difficult" part is understanding C++ (which, as I have stated
before, I know next to nothing about), I was actually hoping that some kind
soul had already done so, but after searching Google, it doesn't look like
it. Ah, well, I'll download the source for QScintilla and see what we've got
there.

> 2) Using QScintilla. ;-)
>
> Why reinvent the wheel? Perhaps you are having difficulty obtaining or
> compiling qscintilla and PyQt. You should address these problems first.
	QScintilla looks to be like a Mach truck when all I really need is a moped.
:) What I had in mind was something like
http://www.sil.org/computing/shoebox/graphics/SingleGlossField.gif, with the
left-hand column (the \lx and \ge part) "uneditable" (and preferably with a
grey background, to indicate that), with the right-hand column the data entry
part. The right-hand part would also have to be multi-lined, e.g.:

Tags			Values

\entry	| The name of the entry
\text 	| Some really long text that
		| wraps around for a while
		| to show off line-wrapping.
\date	| 12 Aug 2003

Text labels wouldn't work here, since the left-hand column doesn't necessarily
have to include a set list of tags. Also, there could be dozens, perhaps even
more such tags, and to give every last one a text label would create a huge
window that would fit only on the largest of screens.

> > --
> > Oh what a tangled web they weave who try a new word to conceive!
>
> Oh what a tangled web they weave, who try a new *code* to conceive!
	Amen. I seem to often bite off more than I can chew...
	:Peter
--
Oh what a tangled web they weave who try a new word to conceive!