[PyKDE] PyKE Update 20030812

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Wed Aug 13 07:07:01 BST 2003

I promised another PyKDE release to fix the kfile module problem
and a couple of other minor problems. I've run into one problem
compiling against KDE 3.1.3 AND Qt 3.2.0 - Qt 3.2.0 seems to be
required for the problem to occur. As soon as I get that
resolved and run some other test builds just to be sure I'll
have a release - might be a few days.

In the meantime (waiting for compiles to finish) I've been
testing Hans-Peter Jansen's build.py modifications and doing a
few final cleanups pulling out KDE2 and tmake related stuff.
I've also added version testing for sip, the PyQt lib installed,
and the PyQt sip files installed. This should insure more
reliable builds (it will catch version mismatch errors, which
seem to the biggest problem lately), but it will require that
all versions (sip, PyQt, PyKDE) match - so for example a
situation like building PyKDE-3.7 against sip/PyQt-3.6 won't be
possible without hacking build.py (not very hard, and I can tell
you how to do it if necessary). This version of build.py also
allows you to run make as a user instead of as root for any
builds, and it has all of Pete's patches for SMP, 'install' to
an arbitrary directory option, split concatenated files, and
other stuff (Thanks, Pete!).

I'm not able to test all of the patches, but as far as I can
tell, they look very good and Pete's cleaned up the file quite a
bit too.

I'm not sure if build.py will make the next release or the one
after.

Jim