[PyKDE] Re: Learning C++

Frederick Polgardy Jr polgardy at bodacion.com
Wed Aug 13 18:51:00 BST 2003

On Wednesday 13 August 2003 11:03 am, Jonathan Gardner wrote:
> I think your point is that learning C then C++ would make a horrible
> Object Oriented Programmer. I go one step further -- C++ is a
> horrible language for anything OO.

Maybe I'm in the minority on this one (perhaps because I haven't been
programming in C++ for 20 years? :)), but with the exception of a few
quirky dark alleys, I don't have any big issues with C++ for OO.  I
like the fact that I have the low-level power of C when I need it, as
well as the OO stuff.  You gotta admit, a statically-typed OO-language
is an enormous challenge any way you slice it.  I think it fits its
rather unique set of requirements -- one of which is to remain mostly
backwards compatible with C! -- quite nicely, while still remaining
mostly pretty elegant (like I said, except for a couple dark alleys).

Naturally I'm a big fan of languages like Python as well (or I wouldn't
be here discussing this!).  Just probably wouldn't write an operating
system in it. ;)