[PyKDE] help with PyQt Sip and QT...

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Sat Aug 30 07:46:01 BST 2003

On Friday August 29 2003 12:20, Andrea Pertosa wrote:
> First of all let me tell you that I'm a Windows illiterate
> since my primary development platform is a SGI IRIX, so please
> bear with me.

> I'm running on a Dell laptop with WinXP Pro. I installed Qt
> version 3.2.0.

> I installed PyQt (the compiled package from riverbank)
> PyQt-WinNC-3.8 that, according to the web site, contains the
> SIP.

I don't know much about Windows, but I believe PyQt-WinNC only
works with the comparable Qt version (the free version for
Windows) which I believe is Qt 2.3.

If you have Qt 3.2.0 for Windows, I assume it's either an
evaluation version or a paid for version - you'd need to get the
commercial version of PyQt to work with it.

As far as I know Qt 3.2.0 (and PyQt to go with it) is only free
on Linux (and Mac OSX? - not sure of the status of that).

> I installed the python.org distribution of Python, version 2.3
> (July 29th 2003).

> I build my widget in QT designer, I can create the
> corresponding python script but when I try to run the python
> script I get  a DLL load error:

> Traceback (most recent call last):

>   File "C:\Documents and
> Settings\Andrea\Desktop\Adams\Pyqt\sdi editor\sdi_editor.py",
> line 5, in -toplevel-

>     from qt import *

>   File "C:\Python23\lib\site-packages\qt.py", line 17, in
> -toplevel-

>     import libsip

> ImportError: DLL load failed: The specified module could not
> be found.

> Of course just invoking the python interpreter and trying to
> "import qt" cause the same error.

> Can anyone suggest a way to resolve this problem?

> Note that the only suggestion I could find on the Internet was
> to copy manually the libsip.dll to the C:\windows\system32
> folder, but that did not work.

> Any help greatly appreciated.

I believe Phil (the sip/PyQt author) is away for a while longer -
if my answer appears incorrect, you might repost your question
in another week or a little longer. I'm sure Phil would have the
answer.

Please don't hesistate to post questions to the list, although a
Google search on the topic will usually turn up an answer more
quickly (most of the traffic on this list is archived online and
easily reachable via Google).

Jim