[PyKDE] ANN: PyQt v3.9, SIP v3.9, SIP v4.0rc1 Released

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Mon Dec 8 18:48:00 GMT 2003

On Sunday December 7 2003 21:38, Gordon Tyler wrote:
> Jim Bublitz wrote:
> > I haven't really looked at sip/PyQt 3.9 yet, but I expect
> > PyKDE as currently configured will have difficulty building
> > with them only because of build system changes.

> > I'll be releasing a PyKDE 3.8.1 as soon as I can finsih it
> > and probably a PyKDE 3.9 followed by 4.0. The latter two
> > probably won't be released until January.

> Jim, is PyKDE 3.8 supposed to work with sip/PyQt 4.0?

No - Phil has made significant sip syntax changes in 4.0
(particularly with respect to %MemberCode), and also made
changes to the build system and file hierarchy (sip files not
all in a single directory any longer, for example). As
mentioned, I haven't looked at 3.9 yet, but I expect that at
least some build changes there will make PyKDE 3.8 incompatible.

> If not, when do you expect to release a version which does?

Hard to say. Typically, PyKDE forces some additional
modifications or bug fixes to sip - KDE uses "more" of C++ than
Qt does and Phil has no way of testing some of that until I
start PyKDE, just like I have no way of predicting where the
glitches might be.  Sometimes I can do simple workarounds or
just disable a method or two, sometimes not.

In addition to that, I have to modify a lot of code for the new
sip syntax, modify the build system, and probably pick up KDE
3.2 as well.

Lastly, my eyesight is reaching the point where it looks like I'm
viewing the screen through a wet T-shirt. While some things look
better that way, code isn't one of them. That both slows me down
and makes it a real pain to do anything. I'm hoping to get that
fixed soon, but I expect getting it fixed will mean a week or so
"offline".

Optimistically, I should be caught up sometime in January;
hopefully it won't be much later than that.

Jim