[PyKDE] sip/PyQt 3.9

Phil Thompson phil at riverbankcomputing.co.uk
Wed Dec 10 18:57:01 GMT 2003

On Tuesday 09 December 2003 11:12 pm, gvermeul at grenoble.cnrs.fr wrote:
> > On Tuesday 09 December 2003 23:18, Phil Thompson wrote:
> > > On Tuesday 09 December 2003 9:59 pm, Hans-Peter Jansen wrote:
> > >
> > > Does $QTDIR/mkspecs/default/qmake.conf define QMAKE_RPATH?
> >
> > Nope. Attached for reference. Suse 9.0 qt3-devel-3.2.1-34, BTW.
>
> I ran into the same problems when porting PyQwt back to sip-3.9,
> because to make it work I have to set the RPATH to include the qt
> module. (FYI: I used configure.py to build sip-3.9 AND PyQt-3.9, PyQwt
> is still made with my own stuff)
>
> Why is this superfluous RPATH stuff needed? (now it is, because if
> I remove the line containing
>
> self.rpaths.append(self.config.sip_mod_dir)
>
> from siputils.py, I get Pete's initial error messages)
>
> RPATH is meant to help ld.so, but ld.so is never(?) used, because
> Python loads the appropriate modules (abused as libraries).
>

> What did change? The module loading with Python-2.3 (but PyQwt worked
> with sip-3.8 and Python-2.3 without the RPATH magic) or sip?

configure.py builds the sip module in-site then installs it (so you don't have
to be root). build.py built it in site-packages. That's the most obvious
difference.

Can you try hacking siplib/Makefile so that it builds in site-packages (and
remove it from the install target) to see if that makes a difference? If it
does I'll revert to the previous behaviour (but not for SIP4 as it isn't
affected by this).

Thanks,