[review] [PyKDE] bug report

Simone Piunno simone.piunno at wseurope.com
Mon Dec 15 10:38:00 GMT 2003

Alle 00:48, sabato 13 dicembre 2003, Jim Bublitz ha scritto:

> > Generating the C++ source for the dcop module.
> > sip: /usr/share/PyQt-x11-gpl-3.8/sip/qevent.sip:427: parse
> > error /usr/local/bin/sip failed with an exit code of 256.
>
> In my version of PyQt-3.8.0, qevent.sip line 427 is:
>
> 	virtual ~QEvent();

Hi Jim,

thanks for you answer.
My copy of the file has the same line 427:

    420 %If (Qt_3_0_0 -)
    421                 MaxUser,
    422 %End
    423         };
    424
    425         QEvent(Type);
    426         QEvent(QEvent&);
    427         virtual ~QEvent();
    428
    429         Type type() const;
    430 %If (Qt_3_0_0 -)
    431         bool spontaneous() const;
    432 %End

> The only thing I could suggest is that line 427 has been somehow
> altered. Otherwise (much as I hate to do it) I'd suspect a
> hardware problem. For example, I had a CPU overheating that
> would cause random errors similar to this.

I believe this can't be a CPU overheating problem because I've retried many
times and it always stops at the same line with the same errors.  A CPU
overheating wouldn't be reproductable.

> This is a problem with sip parsing PyQt's qevent.sip. Consider
> that you've probably already built PyQt using the same code (or
> presumably someone has if you're using packaged binaries for
> sip/PyQt) and run it through the same version of sip
> successfully.

I'm using pre-packaged binaries:

[root at pioppo root]# rpm -qa|grep PyQt
PyQt-docs-3.4-1mdk
PyQt-3.8-1mdk
PyQt-eric-3.4-1mdk
PyQt-devel-3.8-1mdk
[root at pioppo root]# rpm -qa|grep sip
libsip9-3.4-1mdk
libsip10-devel-3.8-3mdk
libsip9-devel-3.4-1mdk
libsip10-3.8-3mdk

> You can try removing the "virtual" qualifier from that line so
> it's just:
>
> 	~QEvent();
>
> or comment the line out (//) altogether. This doesn't affect PyQt
> (unless you rebuild - then you don't want to have modified the
> line). It shouldn't cause any problems with PyKDE though (unless
> it causes a linking problem ??)

both removing "virtual" or commenting the line out stops compilation at line
1129:

   1125 %If (Qt_2_1_0 -)
   1126         QCustomEvent(int);
   1127 %End
   1128         ~QCustomEvent();
   1129 %VirtualCode
   1130                 // We need to garbage collect any current data.
   1131
   1132                 PyObject *old = reinterpret_cast<PyObject *>(data());
   1133
   1134                 SIP_BLOCK_THREADS
   1135                 Py_XDECREF(old);
   1136                 SIP_UNBLOCK_THREADS
   1137 %End

> Which distribution/version are you using?

I'm on Mandrake 9.2
When I've more time I'll try rebuilding everything from source, anyway it
would be nice to understand exactly where the problem is, so that I can send
feedback to Mandrake people.

Thank you again
  Simone Piunno

--