[PyKDE] eric-snapshot-20030126 on OS X

Detlev Offenbach detlev at die-offenbachs.de
Sat Feb 1 14:58:01 GMT 2003

Hi,

> I have been trying to get SIP, PyQt, QScintilla, eric3 working on OS X
> (under X11, not natively), using the latest snapshots of each because
> I had problems with the release version of PyQt not being able to find
> .sip files, and then crashing sip if I moved them to the right place.
> 8 hours later (*sigh*), I have Qt 3.1.1, KDE 3.1, SIP, PyQt,
> QScintilla, eric3 running.  The only source changes I needed were in
> sipgen, because it was declaring variables in a .h file (?) -
> everywhere else I just needed to edit the Makefiles, rather
> repetitively.
>
> I can run eric3 and I get the main window, shell, etc. but when I try
> to open a document I get:
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "/sw/lib/python2.2/site-packages/ViewManager/ViewManager.py",
> line 1099,in newEditor File
> "/sw/lib/python2.2/site-packages/QScintilla/Editor.py", line 83, in
> __init__ File "/sw/lib/python2.2/site-packages/qtext.py", line 71, in
> __init__ libqtextc.sipCallCtor(8,self,args)
> TypeError: Argument 1 of QextScintilla() has an invalid type

This traceback look really strange. I have a strange feeling, that you
have some garbage lying around in your filesystem from previous
installation attempts because the offending line of code hasn't been
changed since the very first coding of eric3 and is working.

> The really strange part of this is that there are no directories as in
> the first two lines of the traceback, they've actually got an
> '/eric3/' after the site-packages.

That's why I think there is some garbage around.

> I had the same message in eric 3.0.1, but it showed up in the 'stderr'
> tab instead of printed to the console.

That is ok, the snapshot versions have to lines commented out. These
lines redirect stdout and stderr to the logviewer.

> As far as I can tell libqtextcmodule.so links to
> libqscintilla.0.dylib.  I have no idea what is happening beyond there.
>

> The other problem I had was building eric3, by default the OS X
> filesystem is not case-sensitive (but it is case-preserving) so I had
> problems with 'helpviewer' and 'Helpviewer' conflicting.  This is new
> in the snapshot as 3.0.1 did not have this problem.  Windows users
> will probably have the same issue.

Strange that the windows users haven't reported this, but I can see your
problem. It will be fixed in the next snapshot.

> Finally it would be nice if there were larger disclaimers that
> PyQt/etc are not supported under OS X, and perhaps a warning displayed
> by build.py as well.  I only saw the statement on the homepage about 6
> hours into the process. :/

Eric just uses PyQt and QScintilla and should be running on every
platform where these are supported.

For problems related to PyQt, sip and QScintilla please contact Phil
Thompson of Riverbank.

Detlev
--
Detlev Offenbach