[PyKDE] PB to compile PyKDE-3.3.2

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Mon Feb 10 18:18:01 GMT 2003

On 10-Feb-03 Gerard Breiner wrote:
> First of all, my platform is Linux RedHat 7.2 with Python 2.2.2

> I installed :
>                 sip-x11-gpl-3.5
>                 PyQt-x11-gpl-3.5

> I tried to install  PyKDE-3.3.2
> Here what i did :
> python ./build.py -t /usr/include/kde -s
> /usr/local/lib/python2.2/site-packages/ -v
> /home/admin/PyQt-x11-gpl-3.5/sip
> No problem.
> make.
> ------------
> cd kdecore; "/usr/bin/make"
> make[1]: Entering directory `/home/admin/PyKDE-3.3.2/kdecore'
> g++ -c -pipe -O2 -fPIC -DSIP_MAKE_MODULE_DLL -DNO_DEBUG
> -fno-exceptions -I-I -I../extraH -I.
> -I/usr/local/include/python2.2 -I/usr/include/kde
> -I/usr/lib/qt-2.3.1/include -o kdecorecmodule.o
> kdecorecmodule.cpp
> In file included from sip/kstyle.sip:42,
>                  from kdecorecmodule.cpp:129:
> /usr/include/kde/kstyle.h:38: parse error before `{'
> /usr/include/kde/kstyle.h:39: non-member function `className ()'
> cannot
> ---------------

> Where is the problem ?
> Must i update KDE or PyKDE-3.3.2 has a bug ?

First, what version of KDE are you running? It should be a 2.x.x
version, as KStyle is in the kdefx module for KDE >= 3.0.
PyKDE-3.3.2 supports KDE down to KDE 2.1.1, so that shouldn't be a
problem.

Second, some versions of Qt are compiled with some of the Q*Style
options missing. In this case, KStyle is a subclass of
QPlatinumStyle, so open the python interpreter and try:

    from qt import QPlatinumStyle

My guess is that won't work - if it doesn't, it means you'll need
to recompile Qt with the correct feature set if you want to use
PyKDE as is. You'd also need to recompile PyQt in that case.

Otherwise you can try modifying PyKDE: in the subdirectory
PyKDE-3.3.2/sip/kde2* (kde21 or kde22 depending on your KDE
version), you can comment out the %Include kstyle.sip in
kdecore.sip ('//' comment). I'm not sure what else depends on
KStyle, so you may have to comment out other stuff as well, or it
might not be possible to do this at all. You'll need to re-run
build.py, and if it's going to fail it should fail there.

Anybody else here recall any RH 7.2 problems?

Jim