[PyKDE] Problems building pyKDE 3.3.2 on RedHat 8.0

Gary Cramblitt garycramblitt at comcast.net
Thu Feb 20 01:18:01 GMT 2003

I am trying to build and install the following packages, but encountering problems.

	PyQt-x11-gpl-3.5.tar.gz
	sip-x11-gpl-3.5.tar.gz
	PyKDE-3.3.2-3.tar.gz

My system is RedHat 8.0, Qt: 3.0.5, KDE: 3.0.3-8.3 Red Hat, Python: 2.2.1.

Here is what I did.  I unpacked each of the 3 packages above to
/usr/local.  I noted in the README files that environment variable
KDEDIR is supposed to be defined.  On my system, it is not.  Hmmm, why
not?  Worse, the following directory structure is expected

  $KDEDIR/lib
  $KDEDIR/include

but apparently on my RH system, I have

  /usr/lib/kde3
  /usr/include/kde

Notice how the directories are "inverted" from what is expected.  I note
on the web that most systems have KDEDIR pointing to /opt/kde, but my
/opt directory is empty, so I do the following commands:

  mkdir /opt/kde
  ln -s /usr/lib /opt/kde/lib
  ln -s /usr/include/kde /opt/kde/include
  export KDEDIR=/opt/kde

I also note that README's say I should use -lqt-mt when building
(because I have KDE 3).  What is this?  Anyway, I continue with the
following commands (as su) with no apparent errors:

  cd /usr/local/PyQt-x11-gpl-3.5
  python build.py -lqt-mt -c
  make
  make install
  cd /usr/local/sip-x11-gpl-3.5
  python build.py -lqt-mt
  make
  make install
  cd /usr/local/PyKDE-3.3.2
  python build.py -lqt-mt -c

The last command says "can't find PyQt()/sip modules".  I look in the
build.py code and see that it is looking for qtmod.sip.  Locate command
reports "/usr/share/sip/qt/qtmod.sip", so I continue with the following
commands (with no apparent errors):

  python build.py -lqt-mt -c -v/usr/share/sip/qt/qtmod.sip
  make
  make install

When I try some of the examples, I get an error.  For example:

$python
Python 2.2.1 (#1, Aug 30 2002, 12:15:30)
[GCC 3.2 20020822 (Red Hat Linux Rawhide 3.2-4)] on linux2
>>> import kdeui
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
  File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/kdeui.py", line 73, in ?
    import libkdeuic
ImportError: /usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/libkdeuicmodule.so: undefined symbol: sipName_qt_del

What did I do wrong?  I am a newbie, so be gentle please.  TIA