[PyKDE] Problems building pyKDE 3.3.2 on RedHat 8.0

Gary Cramblitt garycramblitt at comcast.net
Thu Feb 20 06:59:01 GMT 2003

On Wed, 19 Feb 2003 17:57:14 -0800 (PST)
Jim Bublitz <jbublitz at nwinternet.com> wrote:

> You should build sip first, then PyQt, and then PyKDE. If the
> sequence above is what you actually did, you built PyQt with
> the version of sip that comes with RH 8.0 (not likely 3.5), and then
> built PyKDE with sip 3.5 but probably against the PyQt sip files
> that came with RH 8.0 (also probably not 3.5). I don't believe that
> a normal PyQt install will put any files in /usr/share/sip/qt/ - I'd
> expect to find them in /usr/local/PyQt-x11-gpl-3.5/sip from the
> above. (locate won't see them until updatedb is run again)
>
> Just like the qt/qt-mt situation above, this stuff will often
> compile and link with completely wrong sets of files, but then
> won't work when you try to run something.
>
> Try the following:
>
> 1. run sip -V  -- you should see 3.5

  version 3.5

> 2. In the Python interpreter, try 'import qt'; if that works, try
> 'import dcop' and 'import kdecore' (kdeui depends on all 3 of
> those). I'm guessing none of those will work either.

  All work.

> 3. Try some of the example programs from PyQt examples3/ directory.

  All work.  I had actually built the packages several times, which
explains why PyQt is working.

I rebuilt PyQt (just for good measure) and then rebuilt PyKDE with the
-v switch you suggested

  cd /usr/local/PyKDE-3.3.2
  make clean
  python build.py -lqt-mt -c -v/usr/local/PyQt-x1l-gpl-3./sip
  make
  make install

and that fixed the problem.  This should be mentioned in the README.

Jim, you rock!  Thank you.