[PyKDE] Solaris PyQt 3.5 Compile Nightmare

Ramsey, Ken Mr EOIR ken.ramsey at nvl.army.mil
Thu Feb 27 01:34:01 GMT 2003

I'm trying to build PyQt 3.5 on Solaris 8 (sparc) using g++ 2.95 and
qt-x11-free 3.1.1. Has anyone done this?

The make bombs on moc_sipqtProxyqt.cpp when it encounters the undefined
symbol "static_QUType_varptr." I've noted that people have had similar
problems which seem to arise when a previous version of qt is installed on a
machine. This is the case with my build. I've gone to some length to make
sure that the correct qt libraries are being referenced, but this has not
solved my problem. I note that I successfully built PyQt on very similar
build environments on my Linux systems without a hitch.

The undefined symbol is referenced (as an extern) in the header
<private/qucomextra_p.h>, and it's defined in the file
$QTDIR/src/kernel/qucomextra.cpp.

My sip and moc combine to generate what looks like the correct header and
moc_sipqtProxyqt.cpp file. It does indeed include <private/qucomextra_p.h>,
which, again, references "static_QUType_varptr" as an extern. When g++ tries
to compile this, (not link it, just compile it), with its "-I" flags
pointing to all the right places, I still get this maddening undefined
symbol error.

Does anyone have any idea what gives? I'd appreciate any help, because I
moved to Python precisely to avoid this cross-platorm compile nightmare that
c++ seems always to provide.

Thanks,

Ken Ramsey
eoir technologies