[PyKDE] Importing Problem (somewhat long)

Steven Faulconer geek at cfl.rr.com
Wed Jan 1 04:13:01 GMT 2003

Hello everyone,

I'm sorry if you get this twice. I sent it from the wrong account the
first time (one that isn't subscribed to the list). Anyway, I spent a
good bit of the day looking for an answer to this that actually worked.
Quick specs:

Linux-based (kernel 2.4.20)
Python 2.2.2
GCC 3.2.1
Glibc 2.3.1
PyQT 3.5
QT 3.1.1
SIP 3.5
QScintilla 1.49

I've compiled / installed everything without error, but I'm getting the
following error when importing qt:

Python 2.2.2 (#1, Dec 31 2002, 09:20:52)
[GCC 3.2.1 (CRUX)] on linux2
 >>> import qt
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
   File "/usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/qt.py", line 39, in ?
     import libqtc
ImportError: /usr/lib/python2.2/site-packages/libqtcmodule.so: undefined
symbol: _ZNK16QAssistantClient9classNameEv

I've found a few references in the mailing list about this and they all
spoke of installing QT without the prefix option. I've done this
(multiple times) I've installed it with the prefix option (again,
multiple times). I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing wrong.

'ldd' shows that libqtcmodule.so.1.0.0 is linked against the correct qt
library on my system:

     libqt-mt.so.3 => /usr/lib/qt3/lib/libqt-mt.so.3 (0x4073a000)

On my most recent compile of QT, I used this configuration:

/root/qt-x11-commercial-3.1.1/configure -release -shared -qt-gif
-system-zlib -no-fast -platform linux-g++ -thread -nis -stl
-system-libpng -system-libjpeg -system-libmng -no-nas-sound
-plugin-imgfmt-png -plugin-imgfmt-jpeg -plugin-imgfmt-mng -sm -xft
-tablet -xkb -no-exceptions -plugin-sql-mysql -L/usr/lib/mysql
-I/usr/include/mysql

The only difference in my configures of QT has been the inclusion or
exclusion of 'prefix /usr/lib/qt3'

I installed in the following order:
Python
<MySQL>
QT
SIP
QScintilla
PyQT

I'm still pretty new to programming and all its wonderful joys, so
hopefully there is someone that can assist me. My apologies for the
length of this message, and any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Steven