[PyKDE] pyqt-debian

Ricardo Javier Cardenes Medina rcardenes at debian.org
Thu Jan 16 01:56:00 GMT 2003

On Wed, Jan 15, 2003 at 09:29:13PM -0300, ranto wrote:
> hi, i'm quite new at pyqt, and i cannot find the correct sources for installing pyqt on
> debian. I try one way and another but i always get stuck when apt requires the
> python2.2-sip-qt3 (>= 3.5) package, wich i couldn't find anywhere. I also tried to
> compile the sources, but i get stuck in the build.py

Heh... This is a real problem, but I thought it wasn't going to hit us
so quick. The long story:

  I uploaded sip & PyQt 3.5 last week, but sip was rejected due to a
  packaging error. I thought PyQt wasn't going to enter because it
  needs sip >= 3.5 to build... but it got into sid (*sigh*). I was going
  to upload sip again but now we are in the middle of the much awaited
  and feared "GCC 3.2 transition", so I'm waiting for
  Qt3-G++3.2-compiled to reach the unstable distribution before
  uploading sip again.

The short story:

  Please, add a "sarge" (or "testing") repository to your sources.list
  and download PyQt this way:

    apt-get install python-qt3/testing

  or

    apt-get install python-qt3/sarge

It's PyQt 3.4, but it will work in the mean time. It's not very
likely that Qt3/G++3.2 comes into the distro before next week, so I'll
probably upload the sip&PyQt 3.5 packages to my personal repository[1].
If you really need the latest PyQt, please, notice me about it and I'll
turn that 'probably' to a 'right now' (this, of course, goes the same to
the other Debian users, please bear with me).

  [1] more info at http://people.debian.org/~rcardenes

WARNING: By policy, all Debian packages containing libs and compiled
         with G++3.2 will have an additional "c102" in their name until
	 the soname of the libs change. So python*-sip* and python*-qt*
	 packages (which contains .so.* files) will change their names
	 too, and probably won't be back to their all name before sip
	 v4 (I suppouse that will be the next soname major change, but
	 that's Phil choice, not mine ;)), and I don't know when will it
	 happen for PyQt, as the last versions haven't changed their
	 soname (all were 1.0.0).

	 I'll remember this in an [ANN] message to the list and in my
	 page in the moment I start uploading them into the distro, but
	 they're supposed to replace the old packages automagically.

Regards,
	Ricardo