[PyKDE] pykde.sourceforge.net

Jonathan Gardner jgardn at alumni.washington.edu
Thu Jan 16 15:58:01 GMT 2003

On Thursday 16 January 2003 05:13, Michael Lauer wrote:
> Am Mit, 2003-01-15 um 23.05 schrieb Torsten Marek:
> > What is the future of pyke.sf.net, because I want to know if it is
> > possible to place some little programs I happened to write on that page.
> > By now, I do not have my own page and I wouldn't like to create one.
> > So it would be nice if there was a section of programs with links and/or
> > direct downloads.
>
> Yeah, I second this. I have a bunch of (hopefully resuable) PyQt widgets
> which I could publish and would be interested in seeing other ones.

<snip>

> Who is in charge of pykde at sf.net?

This is really neat. I am in charge of pykde.sf.net, at least the
administration part. I think it would be great to have this stuff on the
site. It is no problem at all to put your programs in the downloads section.

Here are the options, and what is holding back each one. If someone has
something they can donate (time or servers) to get one of these going, let me
know and I'll work with you.

Option one is to have some sort of system where one could sign up, post
scripts, rate other's scripts, comments on each other's scripts, offer
patches, etc..., all hosted on SourceForge. This would be a lot of work, and
it needs to be written in PHP. I can't help with this because I don't know
PHP, I don't have the time to learn it, nor the time to implement something
with it. If anyone knows PHP, or wants to learn it, and has time to do the
development, let me know and I'll help get you set up.

Option two is to host your scripts somewhere else that already is in
existence, most likely at a python script warehouse, or a Qt or KDE program
warehouse. Unfortunately, I have yet to find a site that I personally enjoy
and find useful, so there is no place that I can suggest for this. If anyone
knows of a good site, let me know.

Option three is to use someone's web server, install mod_perl with apache, and
get a real solution together, not this PHP stuff that SourceForge requires us
to use. I would enjoy doing a lot of development work putting together an
interactive website. The only downside is that we need to find someone with a
suitable server.

Those are the three long tem solutions I am looking at. The most realistic and
the best option in my opinion is the first one. However, I myself cannot
implement it. If anyone else has any other ideas, let me know.

In the meantime, if you want to see your source code on sourceforge, send me
your code and a brief description of what your software does and why it is
cool. I'll talk with the current webmaster and see what we can do with it.

--
Jonathan Gardner
jgardn at alumni.washington.edu
Python Qt perl apache and linux