[PyKDE] PyKDE and PyQt 3.6 (sip 3.6)

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Fri Jul 11 00:00:00 BST 2003

On Thursday July 10 2003 12:18, Jonathan Gardner wrote:

> On Thursday 10 July 2003 08:06, Ricardo Javier Cardenes Medina
wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 25, 2003 at 08:09:51AM -0700, Jim Bublitz wrote:
> > > I responded to an earlier inquiry about PyKDE status, but
> > > unfortunately failed to copy the list on that msg (KMail
> > > doesn't add the list addr to the To: field automatically).
> > > There is something like 50 to 100 hours of work needed to
> > > update PyKDE to sip 3.6 and KDE 3.1.2, including
> > > testing/debugging/packaging
> >
> > Mmmh... What about a snapshot release, Jim? Just to see
> > how's it going, and maybe someone can help you with a patch
> > or two while you're busy with your real-live duties.
>
> Jim, I know you have a poor internet connection and hence
> troubles with CVS, but I think doing frequent snapshots and
> allowing us to send patches would be the next best thing. I am
> getting impatient with PyKDE and I would really like to help
> with it if I can as well.

Actually CVS won't help much IMO, otherwise I would go that route
despite the fact I don't like working with CVS in the first
place. Subversion is looking beytter now that Detlev supports
it. However, I was just thinking about doing snapshot releases
earlier today, and I like that suggestion.

Here's what I'll probably do:

1. Get a KDE 3.1.2/sip3.6/sip3.7 compatible PyKDE release out
ASAP - hopefully next week. I still won't have much time the
next few days, but after that it's looking a lot better.

2. Get to the necessary patches/updates as I can - probably one
at a time. That's stuff that's been posted here, like 'casting',
Hans-Peter's SMP patches, and some similar stuff I'll have to go
back through the mail to collect. I'll also add a 'contrib'
section with some of the stuff David Boddie's been working on
lately, which I think is important stuff for PyKDE, but stuff I
wouldn't get to for a looong time..

Trying to do it in the reverse order is one of the things that's
bogged me down, and there doesn't seem to be a point in
releasing more sip 3.5-only stuff, which is where I left it a
number of weeks ago.

This means the new PyKDE initial snapshots will still have the
same problems as the last release, at least for another month or
so.

Jim