[PyKDE] MacOS X Support?

Phil Thompson phil at riverbankcomputing.co.uk
Sat Jul 26 01:50:01 BST 2003

On Friday 25 July 2003 9:14 pm, Nicholas Burlett wrote:

> I'm currently working on a project that is considering a switch from
> wxWindows to Qt for the next version. We're already planning on
> rewriting large portions of the code, so switching windowing toolkits
> won't be too bad.
>
> One of the requirements for our project is Python GUI support on MacOS
> X, which we currently have through wxPython. According to the SIP
> webpage, there is no MacOS X support for SIP, but I've seen in previous
> posts on this mailing list that there has been some limited success
> getting this to work.
>
> Is there any chance that PyQt will be working on MacOS X in the next
> few months, or is there some way I can get it to work now so that we
> can evaluate our switch? We want to be certain that Qt will work before
> we buy licenses from TrollTech.

I'll try to answer this as honestly as possible...

As it stands there is no business case for supporting MacOS/X. In other words,
the investment required is greater than the perceived income it will
generate. However it is something we want to support - so we will continue to
develop SIP v4 in our spare time. As it is a spare time activity we cannot
say when it will be complete.