[PyKDE] Unfinished business (IOSlaves and panel applets)

David Boddie david at boddie.org.uk
Tue Jul 29 02:28:00 BST 2003

Despite my best intentions to document everything I've tried so far in this
general area, I've not been able to achieve as much as I'd have liked. I've
started writing up an IOSlaves tutorial for the Python Wiki at

  http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/moinmoin/IoSlavesTutorial

which should probably be moved to somewhere beneath

  http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/moinmoin/PyKDE

but this has stalled because I got distracted with writing yet another
Python shell:

  http://www.boddie.org.uk/david/Projects/Python/KDE/Images/khpython-0.4.png
  http://www.boddie.org.uk/david/Projects/Python/KDE/Software/khpython-0.4.zip

Still, the latest IOSlaves work is available at

http://www.boddie.org.uk/david/Projects/Python/KDE/Software/ioslaves-2003-07-09.zip

for those interested in giving it a try. The panel applet work is at

http://www.boddie.org.uk/david/Projects/Python/KDE/Software/panel-applets-11-07-2003.zip

but it should be noted that there are problems concerning applets and session
management which I've not yet managed to solve.

If you start a Python applet then log out, you might find that the panel
doesn't start the next time you log in; you're presented with a nice crash
dialog instead. Sometimes, this happens when you log out, too. You can get
your panel back by editing out the offending applet in your

  ~/.kde/share/config/kickerrc

file and restarting kicker with "kdeinit kicker" or similar.

I'd be interested to learn how any brave experimenters get on with any of the
above.

All the best,

David