[PyKDE] Segmentation fault with latest snapshot of sip & PyQt

Gordon Tyler gordon at doxxx.net
Mon Jun 2 21:02:01 BST 2003

Phil Thompson wrote:

>>#0  0x400f9a93 in __dynamic_cast () from /usr/lib/libstdc++.so.5
>>#1  0x414b561f in HighColorStyle::eventFilter ()
>>   from /usr/lib/kde3/plugins/styles/highcolor.so

>>Seeing as how the KDE HighColor style plugin was the last library involved,
>>I just tried changing the Qt style from HighColor to Windows using qtconfig
>>and now addressbook.py runs without crashing. Keramik also works, but B3
>>and Default don't, probably because they're based on the HighColor plugin
>>and Keramik is not.
>
> All styles work for me - I'm using KDE 3.1.1 built from source tarballs. I'm
> not saying there isn't a bug - but I can't reproduce it.

I'm using KDE 3.1.2 from KDE built Debian Woody packages.

I thought it might be some bad interaction between a new version of
libstdc++ and the HighColor plugin that was somehow exposed by PyQt, but
I tried reverting back to a number of older libstdc++ packages up to a
month old and it still exhibited the same behaviour.

The odd thing is that I first noticed this problem with my previous
sip/PyQt 3.6 setup. So I thought I would try the latest snapshot to see
if that would fix it. Since it hasn't, perhaps I should revert back to
sip/PyQt 3.6 and try sorting out the problem from there.

I'm going to poke around the KDE source for the HighCOlor plugin to see
if I can figure out what it's doing when it calls into libstdc++.

Thanks,
Gordon