[PyKDE] IOSlaves in Python?

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Thu Jun 26 02:47:00 BST 2003

On Wednesday June 25 2003 16:43, David Boddie wrote:
> Is it possible to create IOSlaves using Python and PyKDE?

> Although I can build a shared library which seems to import
> the necessary modules at runtime, once my derived version of
> SlaveBase is called by its "get" method its reply never
> appears to make it back to the calling application.

> I'm actually quite surprised that it got that far. My
> experience with hacking Mozilla's plugin interface
> significantly lowered my expectations of embedding Python in
> this manner.

> Any ideas? Is this related to the known issues with panel
> applets?

I'm not familiar with the actual mechanics of the slave itself -
I'd look for a documented KDE example with C++ code and work
from that if possible.

This may be way off target, but it seems you should be able to
derive from SlaveBase (or TCPSlaveBase) and instantiate that
object, and then use Connection and SlaveInterface to
communicate with it. It should work within a single program or
between programs.

The problem with panel applets is that you need to create a
libtool lib for the loading mechanism, which can't be done (at
least not easily) from Python. I don't think that's necessary
with IOSlaves, but I'm really not familiar with how the
on-demand loading mechanism and mgmt operate, or even the
details of communicating.

It appears all the necessary machinery should be available in
PyKDE (unless there's a requirement for lib loading similar to
panel applets). The only other qualification on that is that
some of the socket related stuff in KDE isn't implemented, but I
don't think that applies here.

Can you expand more on the shared library you mentioned creating?
If there is a C++ lib req'd, I might have some ideas in that
direction given more particulars.

Jim