[PyKDE] Re: IOSlaves in Python?

David Boddie david at boddie.org.uk
Sun Jun 29 16:45:01 BST 2003

On Sunday 29 June 2003 07:30, Jim Bublitz wrote:

> On Saturday June 28 2003 15:13, David Boddie wrote:

> > I'm not sure what exactly I did to get through to Konqueror
> > but I can now browse an imaginary directory structure stored
> > in a hierarchical list in my SlaveBase subclass.
>
> Cool!

Yes, most of the problems I've been having having been due to my own stupid
choices when defining the directory structure!

> There was a project builder for KDE that bit the dust when they
> changed autoconf versions a while back (a little over a year ago
> I think). I don't know if it's been updated.

I think I used this within the last year so it's possible that it's still
around. I'll look at the archives I have more closely.

> Both PyKDE and PyQt use qmake and I'm not aware of any problems due to
> that choice - qmake supports a wide array of platforms (if you're not
> familiar with, it's free from TrollTech and the docs are
> included with the rest of the Qt docs). It's considerably easier
> than autoconf and IMHO easier than distutils too.

The "tricky" part might be determining the flags required for shared
libraries on various platforms.

> PyKDE and PyQt use similar versions of build.py to essentially
> replace ./configure and rewrite the qmake files (and then
> generate Makefile via qmake) You're welcome to borrow from
> build.py if you follow the license (GPL'd), although you
> probably won't need to be as complicated. PyQt's version is
> easier to follow; PyKDE's version adds KDE directory locating
> and versioning (and steals a lot of code from the PyQt version).

Sounds good, thanks. Actually, I think it might be a lot simpler than
I'd thought. It may just be a case of locating the PyKDE modules and
the Python interpreter library/archive then linking using the appropriate
flags.

> Of course that won't build a libtool lib as far as I know, if
> that's a requirement. I'm not sure if the libtool-generated .so
> differs from a non-libtool .so. If not, generating the .la file
> via Python would be pretty easy.

I don't think that the libraries differ; libtool appears to just generate
the library using standard calls to gcc or ld, depending on the platform.
I "borrowed" the kio_about.la file and modified it a little to suit my
purpose so a template might be easy to mock up.

David