[PyKDE] Printing (General)

Kenneth Godee Ken at perfect-image.com
Tue Mar 11 05:55:01 GMT 2003

Ok, since I still consider myself a newbee to
PyQt maybe I'm missing something?

1. Line by Line printing at screen res. with single size font
seems easy enough, oh, wait better make that the a fixed resolution
because screen resolution can change from computer to computer.
Results fair, but to plain to be usefull.

2. Other than that I can't seem to find ANY kind of report
layout/generator. So what does everyone do to layout a page(s) with
different fonts, font sizes, boxes etc., position each and every piece hand coded
and postioned pixel by pixel? Thats the only way I can figure it out.

3. How do you add logos or art work at a higher resolutions(ie. 600dpi), 81dpi
doesn't cut it. I tried scaling up, of coarse that doesn't work. I even tried
creating a layout of something like 6,000 x 4,000 and adding 600dpi artwork,
fonts at like 200 points and grabing the widget and printing at HiResolution(600dpi).
It looked good but brought my 2ghz machine to a crawl even for a simple layout.
I tried using Designer as a report layout designer and "grabbing" an instance
of that even at 81dpi, but once it gets converted to a pixmap, even the normal
size fonts get trashed.

4. I'll battle it out one way or the other, but maybe I'm missing something?
I hate the thought of going to something like an external app and not staying
with PyQt for report generation. I've looked at most(everyone I could find, anyway)
of the external report generators and most don't look promising, if you just want to do
direct printing and not PDF. I guess this is why some of these external programs can
generate extreme pricing, for all the reasons above.

What do some of the other people do to get clean reporting from
PyQt. Or does anyone have any other report/generation/printing solutions.

Thanks,
Ken