[PyKDE] Problem building PyQt, QScintilla, and eric

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Wed Mar 12 20:34:01 GMT 2003

On 12-Mar-03 Gerard Vermeulen wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 12, 2003 at 10:27:51AM -0800, Greg Fortune wrote:

>> > Or use the -c flag, then you only need to get a coffee.

>> he he, I'm on a PIII 550 so compiling anything takes a little
>> while :)

>> What does it do?  If there is no disadvantage to using -c, could
>> you include that flag by default?

> It concatenates all sip generated C++ files into a single file.
> So in the end all header files get parsed once, instead of many
> times.

> Some compilers (gcc-2.96) are memory hungry and will start
> swapping if you use the -c switch (this is also more likely to
> happen if you have compile Qt with -O3 or more). If the compiler
> starts swapping to disk you can stay in bed the next day :-)

The qt module needs about 100MB of RAM with the -c switch, so on a
low memory machine (around 128MB or less) it would be best to not
use -c, or at least use it without running X. Otherwise, swapping
depends on what you have loaded.

On the plus side, it cuts compile times for PyQt and PyKDE by about
80% (on the same machine).

On a 600MHz Celeron/64MB RAM/no -c I've had PyKDE take as long as
3-1/2 hours to compile. On an Athlon1900/1GB DDR/-c it takes under
6 minutes. I would think your 550MHz would do PyQt under 15 minutes
if you have enough RAM and use -c.

Jim