[PyKDE] PyKDE Status and Update

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Fri Mar 14 02:50:01 GMT 2003

PyKDE is (finally) starting to progress. I mentioned earlier that
I'm revising the entire process and have most of that done now (at
least well enough to start actually generating code). So far, I've
built 3 versions (2.1.1 -> 2.2.0) and will be starting on 2.2.1 in
a few minutes. Starting over from 2.1.1 will give me a much cleaner
code base. I've also picked up quite a few unnoticed bugs and a few
missing classes/methods/etc by revising the entire process. This is
also the last release to support KDE2.x.x, so I'd like it to be
fairly clean.

In addition, I've started on adding some better demo stuff and
testing, and also started on including some templates and examples
for writing code with PyKDE. The doc format has been revised and
expanded a little (it's now a little more Python oriented than
before). There's still a lot to do in all of those areas that
probably won't make it into this release.

Lastly, I've set up a couple of multi-boot machines so I can test
every version (2.1.1->3.1.0) and also test building on RH 8.0 and
Mandrake 9.0 in addition to SuSE 7.3/8.0/8.1, with several Qt
versions and several Python versions as well.

There won't be a lot of apparent changes, but under the hood this
should be a much better piece of software.

As for a release date -- as always it's "a few weeks" away.

Jim