[PyKDE] Problems with PyKDE 3.3.2 on KDE 3.1.1

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Wed Mar 19 19:09:01 GMT 2003

On 19-Mar-03 Hans-Peter Jansen wrote:
> On Wednesday 19 March 2003 16:03, Jim Bublitz wrote:
>> On 19-Mar-03 Hans-Peter Jansen wrote:

> I've had some conversation with Dirk Mueller today about this
> problem. He holds me, that instancing KService::KService(const
> KService&) will crash anyway, therefore it was made private in
> KDE 3.1.1 (which will appear soonish). He told me that we need
> to use KService::Ptr,  since KService can only share explicitly,
> thus it cannot be deep copied.

(From memory) That should be what the new code for
QPtrList<KService::Ptr> (which is what SvcList or KService::List is)
does I think. If not, I'll fix it. Maybe that was part of the
problem with the older code ?? Thanks for the input though - it'll
be helpful to know when I'm testing/debugging this.

>> svctypes.sip is handwritten code and SvcList is a mapped type
>> meaning neither is really part of KDE, but are created to handle
>> template classes within PyKDE. I'm not sure why the copy ctor is
>> being invoked there, so I'm not sure how to fix it. Also, I'm
>> not sure if that section of code even works, and it's been
>> recoded already for the new version.

> Would you mind throwing that code on me?

I'd rather not, as I don't know if it works, and I don't have it
versioned past KDE 3.0 yet. There were problems with the code in
this area in past releases, and it's very easy to write code that
compiles but doesn't function here - it's tricky (for me anyway)
getting the dereferencing correct. At the moment it's probably
better if you just comment out that stuff - should only be a few
methods.

There's a lot of stuff in PyKDE that nobody uses (although there
was a bug report on the list about the above) so for an interim
release like you're doing, I'd just comment stuff out 'til it
works. You probably won't lose too much that way.

Jim