[PyKDE] raise(questions), lower(expectations)

Vio vmilitaru at sympatico.ca
Thu May 1 15:08:00 BST 2003

Funny word games aside, I was wondering if there is a better way to
manipulate children in a parent's stack than this:

# Trick to call 'raise()' - to put some target widget above others
# 1. connect target widget to the statusBar

 self.connect(self.statusBar,
    SIGNAL("messageChanged(constQString&)"),
    self.myWidget, SLOT("raise()"))

# 2. create a bozo message in statusBar just to generate signal who will
cause target widget to raise() itself..

self.base_parent.statusBar.message('Creating new document')
self.base_parent.statusBar.clear()

Looks like a lot of keystrokes (am I lazy or am I lazy?) and an
unnecessary open heart surgery (with signals and what have you) where a
simple 'myWidget.raise()' would have looked so much nicer. Except that
the simpler solution doesn't work :(  -for the
record, 'myWidget.raise()' throws at me an irrespectful:
AttributeError: lower

Cheers,
Vio