[PyKDE] PyKDE-3.8 released

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Thu Nov 6 16:18:01 GMT 2003

Withing the last couple minutes I just emailed the PyKDE-3.8.0
release to Phil for posting on the riverbankcomputing site. Phil
normally posts the tarballs quickly if he's available. I just
noticed I forgot to remove one (large) file from the top-level
directory, so I may need to send Phil a revised tarball which
may hold things up a little, but I'd expect it to turn up at
http://riverbankcomputing.co.uk within the next couple of days.

I've tried to test this thoroughly, but I'd recommend packagers
wait at least a few days to see what bugs turn up - I'll try to
stay on top of those and get fixes out quickly. Testing was on
SuSE 8.1/8.2, RH 9.0 and Mdk 9.1 - I haven't upgraded to SuSE
9.0 or Mdk 9.2 yet.

What's New
=========

This release will build with KDE through 3.1.4. I haven't tested
it with Python < 2.2 - I've tried to avoid using new Python
features, but I'm using 2.2.2 or 2.3 exclusively for other
stuff, and a lot of the new features creep in. If any Python
version related problems show up, let me know and I'll fix them.

I've revised the docs extensively. There are now sections on
installation, troubleshooting and build.py switches - please
read those, especially if you've never built PyKDE before.

The class reference docs are NOT included with the rest of the
HTML docs. There is a "class reference" page that explains how
to use the new doc viewer and set it up to link to KDE classref
docs (along with a URL for downloading them). You have the
option of using the viewer or generating HTML docs that any
browser can read - the code to do that is in the viewer too.

There is a new directory templates/ which has a number of program
"skeletons" you can use as a base for your applications or just
to play around with PyKDE. There are two sets - the annotated/
directory contains files with comments, the basic/ directory
contains the same files with the comments stripped.

This release should contain the bug fixes that have appeared on
the list over the last several months.

build.py for this release has changed from previous releases -
some of the required files are in the build/ subdirectory.
build.py will probably change again in the next release to be
more similar to what Phil is doing with sip/PyQt4's build.py.
Then again, it might not - build.py is one of the things I need
to take a look at for the next release.

Future Plans
=========

My immediate plan is to respond as quickly as possible to bug
fixes for this release. This will be the LAST "3" series (as in
sip 3.8/PyQt 3.8) and also the LAST PyKDE to run on Python<2.3.
I do plan to support this release with bug fixes and to have this
release available even after the next release is out, but I
won't be extending the sip 3.8 version beyond KDE 3.1.4.

In the next couple of weeks I'll be starting on KDE3.2 and sip
4.0 - there are enough changes in both categories that it's
unlikely there will be a new PyKDE release before the end of the
year. I need to revise my tools for 4.0 (already done for KDE
3.2).

I built the KDE3.2beta using konstruct over the last 24 hours. It
required some hacking to get it to build and some stuff (apps) I
just ignored errors on. I have a working version now and will
start to develop against that. From the little bit I've played
with it, it seems pretty good (a few things crash, but nothing
major), so I expect the 3.2 final won't be too far away.

For the next few months I'll be working on:

1. presip (sip file generator) - bringing that up to speed for
sip 4.0. I'm shooting for a public release of that in 4-6 months
(maybe longer)
2. A tutorial for creating sip bindings (about half done)
3. PyKDE for sip 4.0/KDE3.2
4. Working with David Boddie on getting some of the "extras"
released (KParts, KControl, IOSlaves, etc). David has done all
the work on those and I'll just be looking at testing them,
seeing what support they might need from PyKDE, and making them
generally available. Those will probably be released separately
from PyKDE (just because the next PyKDE is a ways off) and then
included in a contrib/ directory as part of PyKDE.

Jim