[PyKDE] Some issues building PyKDE on RH7.3

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Thu Nov 13 17:42:01 GMT 2003

On Thursday November 13 2003 00:44, Pedro RODRIGUEZ wrote:
> These are some issues I had to compile PyKDE 3.8.0 (with /PyQt
> 3.8.1/sip 3.8 on RedHat 7.3 with Kde 3.1.4 (KDE-Redhat -
> Fedora)).

> in discovery.py: sip search patch is limited to
> /usr/local/bin, /usr/bin -> if there is an older version of
> sip is installed at one of these places (I think it leads to
> the problem of missing 'dcop' directory)

>-> my sip is in an
> another (personal) directory, not at system level, and is
> available through my path

-s switch

> in build.py, the 'split' (-j #) option does not work
> -> catSplit variable is not declared as global in initGlobals,
>     so the option is noop (without this option, on a 256 Mo,
> the 11 Mo of kdeuihuge0.cpp won't compile... well, the time it
> may have taken wasn't compatible with my patience... swapping
> issues ;)

-c- switch will stop it from concatenating in the first place,
but will also be much slower. I don't usually test the split
option - it's meant more for multi-CPU machines.

> in pykpanelapplet.pro, /usr/include/python2.2 and
> /usr/lib/python2.2 path hardwired
> in testPythonize.pro, /opt/kde3/include and /usr/lib/python2.2
>     path hardwired

Yes - you can remove that subdirectory from the top level
Makefile or change the value to python2.3 in the pythonize/test
Makefile (and .pro file if you're going to run build.py again)

> When using the split option, there was an issue when compiling
> the kdecore pyArgvToC and updatePyArgv prototypes may be
> missing for some kdecorehugeN.cpp (manually added in order to
> compile)

I'll look into that. Should work with -c- too.

> When running PyKDE example 'uisample.py', there is an issue
> (probably with the kde libraries). The error message is :
> ImportError:
> /mnt/wrk/python/lib/python2.2/site-packages/libkdecorecmodule.
>so: undefined symbol: manage__19KAcceleratorManagerP7QWidget To
> resolve the missing symbol, I need to run :
>     LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libkdeui.so.4.1.0 python uisampler.py

The class occurs in both kdecore and kdeui in the "official" KDE
sources, but apparently isn't included in both libs in some
(most? all?) distribution builds of KDE. In PyKDE it only occurs
in the kdecore module - I'll probably switch that to the kdeui
module.

> Hope this can help other people that would like to give a try
> to PyKDE.

Thanks - I'll check out the stuff that needs fixing.

Jim