[PyKDE] Some issues building PyKDE on RH7.3

Pedro RODRIGUEZ pedro_rodriguez at club-internet.fr
Fri Nov 14 09:24:00 GMT 2003

Thanks Jim for taking time to answer. Some minor comments included
hereafter.

> > in discovery.py: sip search patch is limited to
> > /usr/local/bin, /usr/bin -> if there is an older version of
> > sip is installed at one of these places (I think it leads to
> > the problem of missing 'dcop' directory)
> >
> >-> my sip is in an
> > another (personal) directory, not at system level, and is
> > available through my path
>
> -s switch

No. You meant -p switch. But here we may have an excuse ;) since
the build.py help mentions '-p dir' where it should probably say
'-p path' or '-p sip_bin_path', or something along those lines.
Anyway, there is a switch that works.

> > When running PyKDE example 'uisample.py', there is an issue
> > (probably with the kde libraries). The error message is :
> > ImportError:
> > /mnt/wrk/python/lib/python2.2/site-packages/libkdecorecmodule.
> >so: undefined symbol: manage__19KAcceleratorManagerP7QWidget To
> > resolve the missing symbol, I need to run :
> >     LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libkdeui.so.4.1.0 python uisampler.py
>
> The class occurs in both kdecore and kdeui in the "official" KDE
> sources, but apparently isn't included in both libs in some
> (most? all?) distribution builds of KDE. In PyKDE it only occurs
> in the kdecore module - I'll probably switch that to the kdeui
> module.

I think I got the point. Just for the record I noticed by running
ldd on libkdecore.so and libkdeui.so, that the lastest depends
on the former. Knowing this, running 'import kdeui' will
fail, but inserting before 'import kdecore' will make the
thing work. I don't know much on Kde programming or your intention
on the matter, but should the 'import kdeui' be the sufficient
for the future ?

Regards,
Pedro