[PyKDE] Qt data structure support

Phil Thompson phil at riverbankcomputing.co.uk
Mon Nov 17 20:14:00 GMT 2003

On Monday 17 November 2003 4:06 am, Eron Lloyd wrote:
> Hello,
>
> For a project I'm developing I'm thinking about the need to possibly move
> it to C++ one day, thus there will be the issue of portability. Currently,
> PyQt strips out most of the Qt generic data structures (QArray, QDict,
> QMap, etc.). Will this always be the case?

Almost certainly.

> Would it hurt to have them
> available?

Most of these are template classes.

> I remember someone mentioning needing QMap support, and that SIP
> 4 would potentially support it. Is the same true for the other types?

There are no plans to support template classes in SIP v4.

> It's
> really no major, I'm just curious.

The obvious thing to do is to define a Python class which you know you can
easily re-implement in C++ and use it consistently in your application.

While I tend promote PyQt as a RAD tool for C++ applications, I've never heard
of anybody actually doing it. After your C++ version, will you then possibly
move it to assembler one day ;-)