[PyKDE] DCOP Problems and Solutions

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Tue Nov 18 18:55:00 GMT 2003

On Tuesday November 18 2003 08:47, Diez B. Roggisch wrote:

> > looked into that much at all, but will eventually). If I'm
> > missing something else (that you'd really want to use) let
> > me know.

> Hmmm - this is really not sooo important, but I'm missing the
> bindings for the kaddressbook (module is called kab).

> I have been successfully connection my cellphone using python
> + usb, and wanted to write a small synchronization-tool, as
> kandy currently doesn't work for me.

> Its a while since I looked into SIP, so I'm not sure how
> complicated it is to wrap the 6 objects I can see here

> http://developer.kde.org/documentation/library/3.0-api/classre
>f/kab/index.html

I've debated doing bindings for kab for a while - the previous
address book library was much more complicated to write bindings
for and in my opinion wasn't as useful as the current version. I
looked at the current version a few months ago, and it's not too
difficult to do bindings for but it does require some
handwritten code. The handwritten code also isn't that
difficult, but it's "challenging" if you've never used sip
before (and the structure will change with sip 4 as well).

Someone else had expressed interest in writing kab bindings - I'm
not sure where that stands at the moment.

I'm not sure how to proceed on this - if no one else is planning
to do bindings for kab, I can probably get them done fairly
quickly. The other question is whether they should be added into
PyKDE (which is pretty large already) or be a standalone set of
bindings? Do you guys think PyKDE is too big already, or should
I add another module? If someone else is planning on doing it,
let me know - I'd be happy to provide assistance too.

Kind of related to this is whether some of the other modules in
PyKDE are something people really will want/use. kdesu is
largely undocumented by KDE, kdeprint and kjs may not be that
useful either. None of those has really been tested very
thoroughly or has any example code written. I could, for
example, drop those three modules and add kab which would make
PyKDE a little smaller/faster to compile (maybe 10%
improvement). I could also split those off as a separate
package, although there was a complaint this morning on
comp.lang.python about there being too many packages already.

I'd be interested in hearing opinions on any of this. I'll make
some decision on kab in the next few days depending on what
feedback I get.

Jim