[PyKDE] PyKDE update

Hans-Peter Jansen hpj at urpla.net
Mon Oct 13 11:44:00 BST 2003

On Monday 13 October 2003 10:18, Jim Bublitz wrote:
> I'm getting ready to begin test builds for PyKDE-3.8.0. With
> other stuff I have going on (mostly internet connection
> problems) it'll probably be ready around the end of the week.

Cool.

> The new class ref docs are also included along with the viewer.
> The viewer can also generate HTML pages for the class ref docs so
> you can view them with a browser instead if you prefer that. In
> either case the docs will link to the KDE Class Ref docs, either
> locally or online (online doesn't work as well though).  All
> methods are documented in Python format. Generating about 5MB of
> HTML takes 2-3 seconds. Instructions are in the docs. You only
> need the viewer to read the class reference docs, not the
> general documentation which is already HTML.

Ubercool.

> There are a few bugs in the viewer -- an extra ) or two in
> places; typedef'd types report as the C++ type instead of a
> Python type (pid_t instead of int for example). Some of that
> will be fixed later. The problems seem mostly minor, but this
> hasn't had a public release yet. The fixes are in the code
> generation stuff (presip) and I'll be getting back into that.

It makes me really happy so see how you tackle things.
Major issues first, minor later. Perfect cut.

> 3. build.py has changed *again* (I can hear Hans-Peter
> screaming). It isn't what I want for a final version, but there
> are even more changes coming with the next sip/PyQt release and
> other things going on. It should work but needs a little
> re-design internally. The SMP stuff is still there and I think
> it's correct but have no way to test it.

Well, no problem on my side. I'm used to regard build.py as a
strong moving target. I will look into it as soon as I can (and
I'm really happy to know, that you kept my code :).

> The next step will be to start converting over to whatever Phil
> releases next (sip 3.9 or 4.0) - that requires changes to both
> code generation and code. I've already looked at the PyKDE-3.2

Since code generation is an area, where I'm able to contribute,
I hope, we can combine our efforts here.

> alphas, but probably won't start generating code for those until
> the rc's are available.
>
> Jim

Pete