[PyKDE] ANN: SIP v4.0pre1 Released

Rune Hansen rune.hansen at viventus.no
Sat Oct 18 01:30:00 BST 2003

On lørdag, okt 18, 2003, at 01:00 Europe/Oslo, Phil Thompson wrote:

> On Friday 17 October 2003 11:47 pm, Rune Hansen wrote:

>>> No - it looks right to me. SIP v4 doesn't generate any .py files.
>>>
>>> Have you actually tried to import a module. If the canvas.py example
>>> works
>>> then everything is probably Ok.
>>
>> canvas.py from examples3/canvas :
>>
>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>    File "canvas.py", line 4, in ?
>>      from qt import *
>> ImportError: No module named qt
>>
>>> Does Python on the Mac use a different file extension for compiled
>>> modules?
>>> (Like the Windows version uses .pyd?)
>>
>> uhm..I'm not especialy famillilar with the .pyd concept. Python file
>> extensions on the Mac is .py, .pyc and .pyo as far as I know.
>>
>> I had, kind of, expected these files: "qtcanvas.py, qtext.py, qtgl.py,
>> qtnetwork.py, qt.py, qtsql.py, qttable.py, qtui.py and qtxml.py" to be
>> present in my site-packages catalog after the PyQt install...but
>> they're not.
>
> Like I said SIP v4 doesn't generate them.
>
> Can you try renaming the .dylib files so that they have a .so
> extension and
> see if they get imported.
>
> Phil
Yes!
python2.3 canvas.py
Qt: QApplication: Warning argv[0] == 'canvas.py' is relative.
In order to dispatch events correctly Mac OS X may require applications
to be run with the *full* path to the executable.
QMenuBar: Not sure how to handle accelerator 0x1010 (Home)
QMenuBar: Not sure how to handle accelerator 0x1010 (Home)

The canvas window pops up. It's in the background and does not seem to
receive events. But hey, it works :-)
I've tried to run several of the other examples and I get the same
result.

I fired up one of my larger apps giving the full path to the start
file. It no longer prints the warning, but the result is the same.
The application it self  works tough, I just can't interact with it.

btw. on my 867mhz 12" Powerbook with 640mb ram, "from qt import *"
takes aprox 8 seconds.

That's it for tonight. I'll do some more testing tomorrow. Thanks Phil!

regards

/rune