[PyKDE] signatures for qt-classes?

Gerard Vermeulen gvermeul at grenoble.cnrs.fr
Sun Sep 14 14:55:00 BST 2003

On Sun, 14 Sep 2003 11:17:34 +0100
Phil Thompson <phil at riverbankcomputing.co.uk> wrote:

> On Sunday 14 September 2003 10:51 am, holger krekel wrote:
> > hello,
> >
> > i started experimenting with PyQt because i wrote some
> > c++-application years ago with Qt and liked it.
> >
> > However, i am missing two things, mainly docstrings and
> > signature information.  While i can imagine that providing
> > docstrings is a major task i wonder if it's possible to
> > maintain a more telling signature than '*args'.  I really like
> > to learn libraries from the cmdline (with rlcompleter2-completion)
> > and i think i am not alone.
> >
> > Or is this "uncurable" with current binding-technologies?
>
> rlcompleter works fine with PyQt as far as I know.

If you want to use PyQt from the Python command line interpreter
you should check out PyQwt. It contains a tiny extension 'iqt' that
does all the necessary initialization of Qt and hooks the readline
library into Qt's event loop. It works great with IPython (or python).

Caveat: does not work on Windows (no readline).

You can find PyQwt at http://pyqwt.sourceforge.net
You *have* to apply a tiny patch, if you want to make PyQwt work
with Qt-3.2.0 or Qt-3.2.1.

Gerard