[PyKDE] Panel Applet Problem

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Thu Sep 18 09:40:01 BST 2003

On Wednesday September 17 2003 22:47, Troy Melhase wrote:
> On Wednesday 17 September 2003 21:21, Jim Bublitz wrote:
> > but if kicker starts them automatically they run under
> > kicker's pid), and David has identified at least one
> > possible fix. Unfortunately that involves hacking kicker.

> can't you do the double-fork unix trick and thus end up with a
> unique pid?

I'm not sure at the moment - doing it in the Python part of the
applet would make writing applets more complicated and a little
weird, so I don't like that. kicker loads a .so file (the same
for every applet) which in turn loads Python and the applet, so
forking that might be possible. It's still necessary to return a
pointer from the actual (Python) applet to kicker though, so it
gets a little messier.

> i have a real lack of understanding of many things
> unix-posix-whateveritscalled, but i thought the double fork
> produced a process detatched from any console (terminal?) and
> with a unique pid.

Another possibility is looking at how kicker loads "trusted" vs.
"untrusted" applets. I believe that's where the appletproxy
loader comes in, and it might be possible to force/trick kicker
into using that (that's how loading takes place when you use the
kicker menu, I believe). That probably turns out to be pretty
similar to your suggestion too.

There might be some way (parameter, putting applets in a
different location, ??) to alter the loading process too - I'm
just not familiar enough with it at the moment to know. I
haven't really looked at the kicker code much (just the basic
applet loading code).

Jim