[PyKDE] Deployment advice

Eron Lloyd elloyd at lancaster.lib.pa.us
Fri Apr 9 06:17:01 BST 2004

One thing I thought of right off the bat was how SIP/PyQt are configured once
they are built. For example, in sipconfig.py and pyqtconfig.py there are many
hard paths, such as where to find Qt. Would it be possible to make relative
paths instead, or set some kind of environment variable to do this?

What I'm thinking is an archive similar to this:
myarchive/
    <install script(s)>
    <bootstrap script>
    docs/
    tests/
    system/
        bin/
        include/
        lib/
            python/ (including PyQt & SIP built into the interpreter)
            qt/ (the qt3.a file and whatever else is needed)

Am I on the right track here? One challenge of all this is to make sure it can
run on the latest Linux distros, such as SUSE 9 and Fedora Core 1. If I had
to I could make it an RPM file I suppose and install everything to /usr/local
so that the path remains the same.

Thanks again!

Eron