[PyKDE] Another PyKDE release

Jim Bublitz jbublitz at nwinternet.com
Wed Apr 28 00:36:01 BST 2004

I'm in the process of doing some limited testing of
PyKDE-3.11alpha7 and will probably send a copy off to Phil for
posting later today.

The changes are:

sip4.0 support - this version is supposed to compile and execute
with the latest sip4.0 snapshot. It works here - I'd be
interested in knowing if it works anywhere else. There are a few
very minor bugs (commented out right now). It generates a lot of
warnings when compiling - I'm working on reducing or eliminating
these, but I don't believe any are critical. There are also a
lot of KDE deprecation warnings - these are turned off in gcc
using -Wno-deprecated-declarations. You can turn them on using
the -w switch to configure.py.

--------------
configure.py - the kdeui module is big enough to break gcc when
concatenated (which is the default), therefore configure.py
automatically splits kdeui into two roughly equal pieces instead
of one huge file (13+MB, over 600K line). If you are using the
-j switch (>=2) configure.py will still honor it for kdeui.

--------------
importTest.py - now reads pykdeconfig.py to find out what modules
were built and test loads those.

--------------
kjs optional - there are some problems on a few platforms with
the kjs module. I don't think anybody uses this module, so I
don't feel like fixing it (I spend more time on kjs than any
other module). kjs will NOT build normally. If you run
configure.py with the -m switch, kjs will build.

--------------
kmdi module - by request, I've added a new module: kmdi. This
module is for KDE >= 3.2.0. As far as I know, it's complete,
including handwritten code.

--------------
qxembed - also by request, I've added this back and upgraded to
KDE 3.2. This was breaking some builds - if it breaks yours, let
me know and I'll either add a switch to disable it or tell you
to comment out the %Include qxembed.sip line in
kdeui/kdeuimod.sip.in

--------------
kicontheme.h/KIconThemeDir problem - fixed

--------------
kio/kfileshare.sip - is correct per the KDE sources. Will break
with some SuSE KDE3.1.x installations, because SuSE rpms contain
an invalid method.  This is the sip file as provided:

    static bool          setShared (const QString&, bool);

public:

%If (  - KDE_3_1_5 )
//ig     static bool          setShared (const QString&, bool,
bool);
%End

For SuSE users having problems, uncomment the second version of
setShared and comment out the first version. (Delete the 'ig'
too - presip reads that).

kfile - The kfile module wasn't getting linked to KDE. It is now.
(it probably would work the old way though)

I also fixed a few other stupid mistakes, but nobody noticed them
so I won't tell.

Jim